Re:How fast are your tape backups?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 06:03:37 -0700

J.C. and Sinardy,

    I'll try to compress two threads into one since they are almost identical. Backing up the database to tape can be a major pain and time consumer if you allow the backup software to do the data compression for you. Hardware compression done inside the tape subsystem is always faster since your using cache ram outside of your system and dedicated chips for the purpose. Therefore to get your SA's or Operators off of your backs try it that way. If your on a UNIX type of system you'll notice several device files for the tape drive, use lssf to see what each is set up for and use the one that allows the drive to do the compression. I know NT does not allow that, but I believe Tivoli does have a 'switch' that will force the compression onto the drive.

Dick Goulet

Author: "J.C. Stofer" <stoferj_at_columbus.rr.com>
Date:       8/27/2001 5:05 PM

Hello list. I have a brand new database that is around 200 GB in size. Our tape backup solution which was supplied by the hosting company is only giving me bewteen 6 and 7 MB per second . A full cold backup can take 8 to 10 hours at this rate.

I looked at the specs for the tape library they sold us and it says 15MB/sec or up to 30 MB/sec compressed. What gives? The storage is SCSI 3 and also some Fibre channel so I don't think the drives are the bottleneck.

What kind of numbers are other people getting?

The system
NT 4
4GB RAM
400 GB storage (mix of SCSI 3 and fibre) Oracle 8.1.6.3.0
~ 200 GB in Oracle data files
Tivoli Storage Manager
IBM robotic tape library (via fibre)

Author: J.C. Stofer
  INET: stoferj_at_columbus.rr.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 08:03:37 CDT