RE: Data Center monitoring

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:04:57 -0700

Raghu,
We use BMC - PATROL for database monitoring. However, we removed all the out-of-box actions by it, and replaced those with our own where ever needed. We do not let Patrol change anything in the database (for example, allocating space when it detects extent problems). Instead, it e-mails and pages the responsible DBA by running our scripts that figure out who is the responsible DBA. We also use only about 15 or so parameters for Patrol monitoring (I think patrol has about 50 or so). It's an expensive solution for the things we currently do with it, but does it solve the problem of keeping up with scripts etc for new servers and databases. We have a very dynamic environment with 100s of databases on multiple platforms (VAX VMS/Alpha, SUN, HP, AIX etc).. Patrol is a right solution for it.

HTH,
Regards,

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com