Re: Append date/time stamp to logfile name (NT 4.0)

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_comhill.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:52:01 -0700

Chuck,

It's doable, and I've seen scripts on the net that do it, but it's a bit cumbersome. However, you could also do it in sqlplus, using spool, where the name of the spool file is taken from a new_value of a date query, i.e.,

col x new_value fn
select to_char (sysdate, 'DDMMYYYYHHMI') || '.txt' x from dual;

spool &fn

hth,

yosi

"Speaks, Chuck W." wrote:

> OS: NT 4.0
>
> I have scheduled a query against a database that pipes results to a log
> file.
>
> Ex. Select * from any_table; >logfile.txt
>
> Since I need a trend on this query I need to keep the logfile names unique.
> Best case scenario is to append a date/time stamp to the logfile name as in
> 230820011200.txt (daymonthyeartime). Does anyone know how to do this with
> NT scripting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck Speaks
> Database Administrator
> Lithonia Lighting