Locking Issue

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:34:09 -0700

    <SPAN
class=060542217-22082001>Back to the experts

<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
We have an
application that, litterally overnight, developed locking issues.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
Our users
start working just fine.   Then, right now cause unknown, our inserts start being blocked.   Usually there are so many so fast that we do not even know what is causing the original lock.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
The tables
the users are being blocked from have multiple triggers and the tables that these triggers point to ofen have triggers of their own.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
So, the
scenario is
1.  Web
Application pointing to an Oracle 8.0.5 database. 2. Things
start out just fine.
3. At a
variable time later (i.e.  not the same time of day, not the same cumulated time since startup, etc.) locks start to appear against our main table.  The users getting the locks are trying to insert a record. 4. Locks
cascade until the only recourse is to restart the database.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
We are having
trouble tracing the locks back to their origin.  There has got
to be 1 thing that is causing the start of this cascade.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
If anyone has
any insights on how to find this one cause ...  I would appreciate hearing them.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
And , if you
happen to have any scripts that would help me trace the locks thru the database I would appreciate them also.
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
Thanks

<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>
<SPAN

class=060542217-22082001>Kevin Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 12:34:09 CDT