RE: database upgrade policy?

From: JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:01:08 -0700

ahhhh a glutton for punishment.  Dev, sure why not, just dont let the developers get to attached to the new features, prod?, i wouldnt update any prod database(unless forced to by oracle corp) until 9.1 at earliest, yes there are some kewl things, but heck the latest 8.1.7 patchset has 22 pages of "bug fixes", i just wouldnt trust the x.0 version with my prod database yet.
joe

Who has lived thru 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 versions of the database :)
>>> dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com 08/22/01 01:11PM
>>>We were running 8.1.6.0.0 and just recently encountered the
ORA-7445 errors,which caused core dumps and invalidated the referential integrity of ourdatabase.  Oracle recommended the 8.1.6.3 patchset.  We decided to skip thatand go for 8.1.7 but for some reason Oracle mailed us the 9i CDs.  I guessthey are pushing it on everyone now.  Anyway, we are in the process ofupgrading our test databases to 9i (using Sun SPARC Solaris 8).  If all iswell we will upgrade production to 9i.David WagonerOracle
DBA-----Original Message-----Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 11:45 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LHi ListersI'm on 8.1.6.0.0 and wondering about upgrading to 8.1.6.3.1(?)as I get the occasional ORA-600/ORA-7445.Do you upgrade to the latest subversion as a matter of policy(and not test very much) to prevent possible errorsor only upgrade if you have problems?Do you upgrade to major versions (7 to 8.0 to 8.1) for increasedfunctionality, cos Oracle are desupporting (the main reason we upgrade)or to improve the CV ;-)  with the possible downside of

Housing Association - Email DisclaimerThe information in this email is strictly confidential and may be legallyprivileged.It is intended solely for the addressee only. Access to this email by anyoneelse is unauthorised.If you are not the intended recipient and you have recieved this email inerror you must take no actionon its contents, nor must you copy or show them to anyone, or make use ofthe information therein.Please reply to the email immediately, or forward tohelpdesk_at_hyde-housing.co.uk, highlightingthe error and confirming that it has been deleted from your system.SECURITY WARNING:     Please note that this email has been created with theknowledge that the Internetis not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understandand observethis lack of security when e-mailing us.VIRUSES:     Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email andattachments are freefrom any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practise therecipient should ensurethat they are actually virus
see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com--Author: Mark Marsden  INET: mark.marsden_at_hyde-housing.co.ukFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:
David Wagoner  INET: dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 12:01:08 CDT