RE: No errors showed in the DBA Studio

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:39:13 -0700

Likewise, I always believed that if you had to use DOS, then you have a better understanding of how Windows operates, because it has to go through DOS to reach the hardware.

Assembly language is useful too, if you like headaches.

Another reason to learn the command line is that GUI tools very rarely include all the options, you usually have more flexibility when using commands than when using the GUI. The GUI is useful for doing simple, standardized tasks like creating one or two user accounts at a time.

e.g. when you install 8.1.7, you can't tell Oracle to use local administration of the tablespaces. You have to go in after the installation, delete all those tablespaces, and re-create them manually... using another GUI tool (DBA Studio)! When both tools should be able to do the same work.

Also, let's say Oracle decides they don't like a tool, and they drop it altogether, and come up with a different GUI. What will you do then? You have to learn a "new" application, and if you don't understand what is happening underneath, you won't be able to adapt as easily.

The GUI tools are not consistent either, some use the .ora file extension for datafiles, others use .dbf. It seems to change from version to version. I am also not clear on how the tools user small case vs. capital letters when creating datafiles on case-sensitive OSes. You have to be careful with these tools.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

        Author: Rachel Carmichael

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca