RE: ops$/w2k/"secure" connections question

From: eric harrington <eharrington_at_ecora.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:05:28 -0700

I must be missing something. I have Oracle running without any additional password security setup and the Oracle user passwords are encrypted. I was checking an OCI login and SQL*Plus connection. I have an Oracle white paper that discusses this: Client/Server Authentication, Part A32479, April 1995. Excerpt follows (my tests confirmed what is indicated below - I had some inconsistency with 7.x but in 8.x and higher this assertion is correct).

Quote: "The Oracle Password Protocol provides security for client-server and server-server password communication by encrypting user passwords passed over a network. The Oracle Password Protocol uses a session key valid for a single database connection attempt to encrypt the user's password. Each connection attempt uses a separate key for encryption, making the encryption more difficult to decipher. After the key-encrypted password is passed to the server, the server decrypts it, then re-encrypts it using a Data Encryption Standard (DES) based one-way encryption algorithm and compares it with the password stored in the database. If they match, the user successfully connects to the database. The Oracle Password Protocol is used to encrypt all passwords upon an attempted connection — whether local connection, client to
server, or server to server."

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: eric harrington