Re: Oracle Performance in Unix machine with hardware Raid 5

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:13:28 -0700

multiple mount points on the same RAID volume on the same controller will mean that different sections of the RAID volume have been allocated to different mount points.

If you were going to use all of the space on the RAID volume, then multiple mount points doesn't necessarily degrade performance compared with a single mount point. but it sure makes backups easier.

if you were only going to use half of the storage volue, you would want to mimize disk seeks (across tracks) and want to keep files most frequently accessed near each other, and near the outside of the physical disk surface, where transfer speeds and data density are highest (as seen by the disk head). in this case, you could create a mount point using the inner-most tracks for online backups of datafiles and other infrequently used data.

Various books cover this subject.
I was reading one called Oracle 8i Unix Performance Tuning - but its on my desk at the office.

Christopher, I believe that you were unwilling to answer the actual question - and just wanted to (understandably so) bash RAID 5. The poster appeared to me to state that they *are* using a RAID 5 configuration.

To answer his question, I would state that he should attempt to keep binaries (static) on a separate mount point from datafiles (dynamic) but attempt to keep log files, control files and data file as close together as possible so as to minimize track-to-track seeks. The most frequently accessed files should be towards the outermost tracks on the disk.

As some people here have pointed out in the past, a RAID controller with sufficiently large cache can overcome some of the penalties associated with RAID 5 parity overhead.

hth,

Paul

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: paled_at_home.com