SOLVED: changing long col to varchar and vice versa

From: Schoen Volker <v.schoen_at_inplan.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:50:51 -0700

Hi list,

I found a article at metalink which explanes how to change a long column to varchar. Example 2 worked for me.

Doc ID: Note 1022030.6

3. How do you move a LONG to varchar2?

    It is not possible to change a long to a varchar useing the ALTER TABLE     command. You could create a new table with the varchar column, and     select the long into a PL/SQL variable, inserting that variable into     the varchar column in the new table.

    Examples:

    (I) This example assumes the LONG column <=2000 characters:

         create or replace procedure 12vc is
         cursor c0 is
           select rowid, long_column
           from table_name
         begin
         for c1 in c0 loop
           update table_name
           set varchar_column = c1.long_column
           where rowid = c1.rowid;
         end loop;
         end;

    (II) Another example that also performs string manipulation on the long:

         declare
         cursor my_cursor is
             select long_col
             from   my_table;
          my_var varchar2(32767);
          begin
            open my_cursor;
            loop
              fetch my_cursor into my_var;
              exit when my_cursor%notfound;
              my_var := substr(my_var,1,2000);
              insert into new_table values (my_var);
          end loop;
          close my_cursor;
          end;

   (III) A method that uses export and import:
         -------------------------------------

         a) export the table with the long column
         b) drop the table with the long column
         c) import with the indexfile option (this writes the create table
            statements in the specified file)
         d) edit the indexfile and change the column datatype from long
            to varchar
         e) run the file as a script to create the table with the same name
            but the datatype being changed from long to varchar2
         f) import the data with ignore=y

Author: Schoen Volker
  INET: v.schoen_at_inplan.de