RE: Deep Doo-Doo

From: Farnsworth, Dave <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 04:41:00 -0700

TAR Number 1766421.999 Open Date 13-AUG-01 16:14:03 Support Identifier 3223081 Name Dave Farnsworth Priority 2 Last Update 13-AUG-01 18:02:05 Product Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition Product Version 8i Platform MS Windows NT Detailed Status Soft Close TAR Reference n/a BUG Reference n/a

Abstract

I have a couple of bad data files and no backups.

Resolution History

13-AUG-01 16:14:03 GMT Can you easily recover from, bypass or work around the problem? = NO Does your system or application continue normally after the problem occurs? =
NO
Are the standard features of the system or application still available; is the
loss of service minor? = NO

### Platform and O/S version, including patchset or service pack level? ### NT 4.0 SP6

### What version and patchset level of the database are you running? ### 8.1.7

### Please describe your problem: ###
During last nights backup something caused the backup to hang. I do a cold backup nightly and the backup is run from a script that is scheduled nightly at
midnight. It does a disk to disk copy and then area that is copied to is suppose to go to tape. When I got to work this morning I could not connect to
my DB so I went to the server. There were no error messages and no programs(like a DOS window) opened up. I could see that the backups had copied
only three of my datafiles to the backup directory. I did a shutdown abort and
then did a startup. After it started up I saw in the <SID>Alrt.log this error;
Errors in file I:\orant\admin\DISPATCH\bdump\dispatchLGWR.TRC:

ORA-01110: data file 10: 'E:\ORANT\ORADATA\DISPATCH\DISDATA01_01.DBF'
ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 10 (block # 1)
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

Restarting dead background process EMN0
EMN0 started with pid=19
Mon Aug 13 06:46:23 2001
KCF: write/open error block=0x1c75 online=1 file=10 E:\ORANT\ORADATA\DISPATCH\DISDATA01_01.DBF error=27072 txt: 'OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.'
DBW0: terminating instance due to error 1242 Instance terminated by DBW0, pid = 457
Dump file I:\orant\admin\DISPATCH\bdump\dispatchALRT.LOG The DOS session from the nightly backup job must have still been running in the
back ground since no DOS session windows were on the server. I tried to do a

recovery from the nightly backup but that also gave the same error. It is like
something corrupted a data file during the backup. I then thought I would take
it off of a tape from Saturday night but was informed that these tapes did not
exist(surprise, surprise).
So I have a database that is down with no backup that is any good. What are my
options??
Thanks,
Dave

### If you are receiving errors, please list exact error messages and text: ###
ORA-01113: file 10 needs media recovery
Text continued in next action...

13-AUG-01 16:15:04 GMT Text continued from previous action...

ORA-01110: data file 10: 'E:\ORANT\ORADATA\DISPATCH\DISDATA01_01.DBF'
ORA-01113: file 10 needs media recovery
ORA-01110: data file 10: 'E:\ORANT\ORADATA\DISPATCH\DISDATA01_01.DBF'
ORA-01113: file 8 needs media recovery
ORA-01110: data file 8: 'E:\ORANT\ORADATA\DISPATCH\CIMDATA01_01.DBF'
ORA-01113: file 10 needs media recovery
ORA-01110: data file 10: 'E:\ORANT\ORADATA\DISPATCH\DISDATA01_01.DBF'

### Did the error generate a trace file? ### No

#### Remote Diagnostic Agent ####
Unknown

### What was being done at time of error? Any changes since this last worked? ##
cold backups. There were no changes to any of the backup scripts.

### Can error be generated if SQL is run in SQL*PLUS or Server Manager? ### Does not apply

### What is the frequency of the error? ### Consistently

### What is the impact to your business because of this problem? ### This is a production database. I need help ASAP.

Error : ora-01113
Contact me via : Telephone -> 608-323-6733

13-AUG-01 16:36:30 GMT The OS5 error, I am told, indicates that some other process had the file locked while you were trying to access it. At this point, try bringing the database to a MOUNT state, and issue the RECOVER DATABASE command. There are some log files which may be available and the DB should find them. If not...

Calling Dave... goes to vm; left message suggesting above.

13-AUG-01 16:40:58 GMT already assigned

13-AUG-01 16:53:02 GMT New info : Michael,
Can you please call. I got your message about the recovery tools that Oracle

has. I would appreciate if you can walk me through this process. I am also going to try calling you.
Thanks,
Dave

13-AUG-01 17:37:29 GMT calling...

13-AUG-01 17:40:22 GMT Client will try to RECOVER and will update TAR.

13-AUG-01 18:02:05 GMT Closed by customer
Michael,
Thanks a ton!! It worked like a charm. My database is up and running. This TAR can be closed.
Thanks,
Dave