Oracle for Unix Clients, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and Its Impact on Other

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:00:57 -0700

This environment variable is usually not set in UNIX. However Oracle executables require a directory list be passed to the runtime linker; thus when setting up the Oracle environment one often has something akin to the following

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $ORACLE_HOME/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib

When a user places such a line or a similar one in a .cshrc or a .login file it can cause other programs not to run.
The normal procedure of tacking the Oracle required elements onto the end of a path are not effective.

Do other sites have this problem. I have thought about employing a wrapper the gist of it would look like

#!/bin/sh

ORACLE_HOME=/usr/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
TWO_TASK=slac_tcp
export TWO_TASK
tool=`basename $0`
exec $ORACLE_HOME/bin/$tool "$@"

The file would be called something like orawrapper, and there would be linked files named for each executable.

The other method would be to change how Oracle is linked, that is to incliude the -R option and specify the directory search path.

 The first is more flexible I could specify character sets and such. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Aug 07 2001 - 16:00:57 CDT