Re: Permissions on dump logs

From: Louis Avrami <avramil_at_concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 20:21:36 -0700

Brian,

I guess I wasn't clear about what I wanted to do. I would like the files under $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/adump, bdump, cdump and udump to have permissions of 644 WITHOUT having to manually change them. Yes, I could always go in and change the permissions on the files. What I would like is for the backup process, not owned by oracle or in the group oinstall, to always be able to read the dump files so that they can be backed up.

Thanks for the reply,
Lou Avrami

 From: "Brian Haas" <bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com>  Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:05:29 -0700 (PDT)  Subject: Re: Permissions on dump logs

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Louis Avrami wrote:

  1. Since the group ownership of the files is oinstall and the permissions are 640, then the dba group would not have read permissions on those files. The group chosen on install (dba) is only for os authentcation to connect to the database as sysdba,sysoper for users belonging to that group
  2. if you can login as oracle(the files owner) or root, you can do a chmod 644 or a chmod a+r on the files to give world read access to them, or do a chown oracle:dba <file name> to change the group ownership to dba therefore giving that group read access to the files

HTH, -Brian

Author: Louis Avrami
  INET: avramil_at_concentric.net