Re: ora-600 ..sort extent pool??

From: Jon Walthour <jonw_at_fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 14:41:58 -0700

Raghu:

What I have found suggests that you are having latch contention on the SORT EXTENT POOL. The "510" indicates that a call was made to free a latch that is unowned. The second parameter is the address for that latch. The third argument is the type of child latch that the kernel was trying to free.

Oracle processes doing sorting that require access to a sort segment in a temporary tablespace are coordinated by a SHARED POOL structure called the SORT EXTENT POOL. This structure contains a description of all of the active sort segments and their extents in the sort segment. Access to this structure is controlled by the SORT EXTENT POOL latch. Your problem could be due to latch contention on this latch. You can view the statistics on this latch by joining v$latch and v$latchname on latch#.

To reduce contention on this latch, increase the extent size by changing the NEXT value of the DEFAULT STORAGE clause of the temporary tablespace in which you are sorting.

Jon Walthour
Author: Jon Walthour
  INET: jonw_at_fuse.net