Was: computer history stories - Now: Age discrimination?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:08:16 -0700

Paul,

I want to echo your sentiment. Now that I am approaching 40 and feeling dinosaurish, it is nice to know that a large number of dinosaurs (or 'OraSaurus' as Don puts it) still exist.

Btw, I keep hearing of Age discrimination in the IT industry. Reading through these notes, is it fair to say that this is less true among DBAs?

As far me, started out in 79 in college with IBM 1620/Fortran and punched-card Input/Output trays (used to be able to read Hollerith code once upon a time!). Progressed to Cobol in my first job in 84 and later to XENIX/UNIX, and teaching the User *never* to use 'ior i' to 'startup' the V5 database...

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc
Work : (408) 970 7002