RE: Help, processes won't die

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 22:52:33 -0700

>> From: Ivan_Rivera_at_doh.state.fl.us
>> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:01:40 -0400
>> Subject: Help, processes won't die
>>
>>I need some assistance ASAP. Our nightly batch process seems to have hung
>>up for some strange reason (ok no biggie my boss says kill it and start it
>>again). The problem is I have killed the processes both in oracle (sid,
>>serial#) and also in unix. Now I can't see the processes in unix but in
>>oracle they have a status of killed but are still holding the resources.
My
>>thinking is telling me the pmon is not waking up or not doing it's job.
How
>>can one manually tell a process to wake up. Any help will be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>
>>OS Solaris 7
>>Oracle 8.0.6.3

FWIW, this was posted to this list in Jan, and I can't tell you if this works or not as I've never had recourse to use it so if you care to roll the dice ;)

to wake up PMON:

SVRMGR>select pid from v$process p, v$bgprocess b where b.paddr = p.addr
and name='PMON';

PID

     2
1 row selected

SVRMGR>oradebug wakeup 2

Sean :)

Rookie Data Base Administrator
Oracle 7.3.3, 8.0.5, 8.1.7 - NT, W2K
[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA
[0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA

"Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too." - BB King

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie