RE: (Fwd) Oracle8i Database Administration Boot camp

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:34:43 -0700

I don't think anyone doubts the ability to have a competient dba and a decent facility to teach, but that list of things to teach in a 6.5 hour period is impossible, for any IQ.

I may be dumb, but I have an extremely small learning curve for anything, and there is no way I could do something of that sort in that short time. Although you only expect to retain so much, I would bet most people would leave more confused than learned, not to mention the possiblility of just giving up attepting to learn Oracle.

$250/day is not much less than other facilities, so it isn't the cost. Oracle is $480-$600 / day, other facilities are generally $350-$450. Although it is cheap, it isn't so cheap that it is unbelievable. But what is being attempted is my concern.

In my opinion (yes, I always have one), this is like all you can eat pizza for $20 dollars.
Granted you can buy only 3 pizza's for $20. But you are no way going to be able to eat more than 3 pizzas in a single day (unless you look like me of course) not to mention even do 2 or 3.

I am all for more aggressive and out of the box training methods, but I just want to let anyone know that may concider this, this is a huge plate to finish, if you feel up to it, great, it is not a life savings to spend. But it is something that I feel very few or anyone could benefit from.

Look at most "boot camp courses". They teach the 5 courses (ussually 5 weeks) of that trade in 5 days, and that is ussually day and night courses. Which would really be 2 weeks. Your talking about 6.5 hours! It takes 30 minutes just to introduce everyone. Now we are talking 6 hours. Just to install oracle is no less than 30 minutes. I can even amagine the questions, or do we even have time to answer questions.

I know as most people if they have a question about something, it haunts them and they think about it. If your going at a pace where you cannot answer a question, I am sure they are going to be so preoccupied about the question it will interupt with them able to absorb the new information. Soon enough most everyone will have a question when you are craming 80-180 hours into about 5.5-6.5 hours of usable time.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence OCP MCSE MCP A+ RAPTOR CNA Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax: (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot
73 Princeton Street
North, Chelmsford 01863

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com