Re: unix question continue...

From: Stefan Jahnke <stefan.jahnke_at_d2vodafone.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:35:26 -0700

Sinardy schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> But they other group will unable to read.
> Like for example in DOS we can make our *.bat file to *.exe
> changing the ascii (readable) to binary file.
> Is this possible?
>
> thank you

Hi,

assuming that you created the file as user oracle, you can give just oracle the permission to read and execute the script (rx). A file containing a shell script has to be readable by the user that executes it. Only x doesn't work. If that doesn't do it for you, there are other options:
You could replace your shell script with a perl script (there is a converter that converts awk and sed to perl). If your shell script uses alot of unix tools, you can convert it by hand to perl's system and exec commands. Might be alot of work, though. The final option is to use C (system()) instead of shell scripts. But to convert shell scripts into C is more than contra-productive ;)
By the way, what is the reason for not letting others with the correct privileges reading the scripts ?

| Regards,                   |
| Stefan Jahnke              |

| @:D2 Vodafone, Abt.: FBOM |
Author: Stefan Jahnke