Re: Your views on Quest - Shareplex

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:38:23 -0700

You can ask the listserv, send this commmand to ListGuru_at_fatcity.com

WHO <list>
  Sends a list of all subscribers to the list specified. This list may be   partially or completely blocked, depending on the configuration specified   by the list administrator. Most subscriber lists are ONLY available to   other list members, however. You will be told if the list is not public.

  By default, your address will be included in these results unless you   have issued the SET <list> CONCEAL command to hide your address for privacy   concerns. The STATUS command will indicate your profile settings.

  Synonyms: RECIPIENTS, REVIEW, SEND/LIST   See Also: SET, STATUS

where <list> = oracle-l

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 10:16:55AM -0800, dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:
> Rao,
>
> Somewhere on this list there is a fellow from Quest, I've seen his e-mail,
> but can't remember who it is. Therefore If I'm leading down a wrong path he can
> correct. Anyway, as I understand SharePlex it extracts the transactions from
> the archived redo logs to replicate those transactions in another DB. Pretty
> slick, but redo logs are an Oracle company secret and therefore subject to
> change by them at will with no forewarning to anyone. Where can that leave you,
> out in the cold with a corrupt staging area? Very possibly. I know of another
> product that is suppose to help you analyze performance problems, but it
> connects directly to the SGA bypassing the kernel. Problem, it works as long as
> you don't change the starting address of the SGA and/or start paging it out of
> memory. Also, I had a demo copy of a product that supposedly re-organized the
> internals of the database files, while Oracle was shut down. Problem: A VERY
> big warning that if the DB would not restart after they finished, sorry!!
>
> Conclusion, any product that attaches to Oracle or it's files by other than the
> normal methods will not make it through the door.
>
> Dick Goulet

> Author: "Rao; Maheswara" <Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com>
> Date: 5/29/2001 9:16 AM
>
> List,
>
> My company is considering Quest - Shareplex.
>
> We are considering to use this in our dataware house. Basically, this will
> pull all the transactions from OLTP database and populate staging area in
> the dataware house.
>
> Could you please give your experiences and the pros and cons of this
> Shareplex product.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rao
> Author: Rao, Maheswara
> INET: Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com

> INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu