multiple versions of SQLPlus.exe

From: Farnsworth, Dave <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:38:24 -0700

I have a server NT4.0, SP5 that has two versions of Oracle installed. On drive J is Oracle 8.0.5 which is used by a third party app and has been up and running for about a year. This last week I installed on drive E Oracle 8i 8.1.7 and have not yet created a database. This Saturday on of the operations people re-booted this server. That night the app using 8.0.5 had an error. From what I can tell the following happened to cause the app to fail.
When the server was re-booted, it reset the PATH setting in the environment in the win.ini file to point oracle to the 8.1.7 version.

PATH=E:\ORA817\bin;E:\ORA817\Apache\Perl\5.00503\bin\mswin32-x86;

E:\ORA817\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;E:\ORANT\bin;c:\DMI\win32\bin;
C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;E:\COBOL32\EXEDLL;E:\orawin\bin;
j:\merant\net express\base\bin;e:\cobol32\exedll

The app then tried to execute a batch file that calls sqlplus.exe. This is where the error occurs and the app sits at a sceen wanting a login name and password for sqlplus. Below is the batch file.

J:
cd \logility\Ora_sql
set oracle_sid=LV54
SqlPlus user/pass_at_lv54 @Qry_Log.sql
Notepad.exe qry_log.txt
::Qry_log_show.bat

I get this error when the batch file is executed, "ora-12154 TNS: Could not resolve service name". I assume that because the path is now set to point at 8.1.7 that sqlplus is now looking at the 8.1.7 tnsnames.ora which currently has no entries for databases. If I edit the PATH setting and put a reference to the 8.0.5 version on J drive, then it works fine but now I get the 8.0.5 sqlplus when I try go to e drive and type sqlplus at the command prompt.
Can I have multiple versions of sqlplus that can be called from the command prompt on the same box? Can I have multiple versions of tnsnames.ora? Would I need to include all the database names for each version in every tnsnames.ora file?

Thanks,

Dave

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue May 29 2001 - 11:38:24 CDT