Re: Temporary tablespaces

From: Glen Mitchell <glen.mitchell_at_peace.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:14:38 -0700

Hi Steve,
Is there any disadvantage to using a tempfile tablespace for the TEMP tablespaces used by the application? Apart from the fact that they are non-recoverable.  In the past I have created TEMP tablespaces with datafiles.  I suppose the nature of the temp tablespace is that it contains temporary data and does not need to be recoverable. Thanks for the info.
Glen
Steve Adams wrote:
Hi Glen,
A tablespace created with the CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE command uses tempfiles
instead of datafiles, and as such is often called a "tempfile tablespace". A
tempfile tablespace is equivalent to a locally managed datafile tablespace with
temporary contents, except that tempfiles do not participate in recovery in
anyway and thus do not need to be backed up.
@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/
@   http://www.christianity.net.au/