HP-UX/8.1.6 to 8.1.7/HP Patches - Please explain

From: Kirsch, Walter J, PERSCOM <Walter.Kirsch_at_hoffman.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:03:40 -0700

Metalink note 43507.1 advises to "apply the relevant HP-UX patch bundles, and then work through the sections for ... 11.x below."

  1. I don't understand the "work through sections...below" . The patch bundle itself contains all the enumerated "sections for .. 11.x below", so why
    (how) do I "work through (the) sections...below"? That is, if I've already
    done it, why do I have do it in another fashion? What is really required?
  2. The patch bundles list patches whose documentation lists "dependencies" whose documentaton lists "dependencies" ad nauseum, and sometime circularly. In other places, the bundles are described as cumulative. What am I missing? How far do I follow a linkage as:

   "phkl_22145 is replaced by phkl_23842 which requires phkl_18543 which requires phco_13411 which is replaced by phco_22453 which is replaced by phco_23651 which requires phkl_17869 which is replaced by phkl_18543...oops"

3. Do I really need to apply the entire patch bundle? Both XSWGR and XSWHWCR? Are the patch names common to both bundles the same patches? Your advice here is really appreciated, as are pointers to HP documentation that might explain their patch philosophy.

Author: Kirsch, Walter J, PERSCOM
  INET: Walter.Kirsch_at_hoffman.army.mil