Re: Can I partition my primary key constraint index?

From: <Diana_Duncan_at_ttpartners.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 12:04:00 -0700

Yes, Cherie, you can. When creating the primary key constraint, use the "USING INDEX" clause to specify any storage parameters you want for the automatically created primary key index. I always use the clause, because I am a picky DBA and I want my indices in their own tablespace and with their own storage parameters. Also, if you specify that the index is LOCAL, the partitioning will follow the same algorithm as the table. Unfortunately, if you do LOCAL, the index partitions will automatically be placed in the same tablespace as the table, but you can "move" the partitions if you wish.

HTH, Diana Duncan
TITAN Technology Partners
One Copley Parkway, Ste 540
Morrisville, NC 27560
VM: 919.466.7337 x 316
F: 919.466.7427
E: Diana_Duncan_at_ttpartners.com

                    Cherie_Machler

                    @gelco.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:              cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.c        Fax to:

                    om                    Subject:     Can I partition my primary key
constraint index?

                    05/11/2001

                    04:51 PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Oracle will automatically create an index for your primary key constraint.

I have a lot of large partitioned tables in my data warehouse. All of my primary key indexes are non-partitioned. I would like them to be partitioned.

When I drop the constraint and re-enable it, can I specify at that time that I want the index to be partitioned? Or do I need to drop my index and rebuild it to be partitioned after the fact?

Is there any problem with having partitioned primary key indexes?

Thanks,

Cherie

  INET: Diana_Duncan_at_ttpartners.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 14:04:00 CDT