FW: Re:End-user DDL?

From: Holman, Rodney <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:35:50 -0700

I agree with Dick whole heartedly on this. Access can kill your db management. Especially if you allow the end users DDL capability. It's

bad enough with the posibility of runaway dml stuff, but the real nightmare is with allowing DDL. To open up your db for such could really
have people asking you Ross's favorite question.

Rodd Holman

On 5/11/01, 5:02:01 PM, <dgoulet_at_vicr.com> wrote regarding Re:End-user DDL?:
> Rich,

> As I stated in a previous post, we've got that GOD forsaken tool
running
> around here as well. Now Access is capable of doing it's own DDL in
Oracle, but
> I would not allow it since you get all of these object names with
spaces
& case
> sensitivity in them. Basically to access them from outside Access you

have to
> enclose all of the table and column names in double quotes. So, what
do
I do?
> Well first I don't allow the end users to process their own DDL, a
developer has
> to do that and for the real duhvelepors, I have them send the ddl over

here & I
> run it, after suitable editing. Then they attach to the tables as
'pass
thru
> queries'. It helps although it's not the best solution. Also, if
they
crash
> one of their access DB's (and I don't care if it's production or not)
have a
> good laugh, period.

> Simply put, Access is NOT an IS supported tool. Your on your own.

> Dick Goulet

> Author: "Jesse; Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
> Date: 5/11/2001 1:11 PM

> So, there I am. An Oracle DBA with a host of MS Access databases that
> end-users have created to do reporting via linked tables. Fine.

> All of a sudden, one of these MS Access databases gets corrupted.
Guess
> what? It was also used to enter and hold production data! Eek!

> I would like to create an Oracle DB (8i) and allow the end user to
create
> and manipulate Oracle tables that they can then link to their MS
Access
> queries/forms/reports. It doesn't look that that can be done using MS
> Access' weak toolset.

> We were guessing that we may be able to create a custom Perl CGI to
have
the
> end-user do their own DDL on a webpage, but this seems like we might
be
> reinventing the wheel.

> Has anyone given end-users (read: know nothing about Oracle) carte
blanche
> access to do their own DDL? What tools did you use?

> TIA,
> Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
> Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex,
WI
USA

Author: Holman, Rodney
  INET: rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com