End-user DDL?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:39:59 -0700

So, there I am. An Oracle DBA with a host of MS Access databases that end-users have created to do reporting via linked tables. Fine.

All of a sudden, one of these MS Access databases gets corrupted. Guess what? It was also used to enter and hold production data! Eek!

I would like to create an Oracle DB (8i) and allow the end user to create and manipulate Oracle tables that they can then link to their MS Access queries/forms/reports. It doesn't look that that can be done using MS Access' weak toolset.

We were guessing that we may be able to create a custom Perl CGI to have the end-user do their own DDL on a webpage, but this seems like we might be reinventing the wheel.

Has anyone given end-users (read: know nothing about Oracle) carte blanche access to do their own DDL? What tools did you use?

TIA,

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 11 2001 - 15:39:59 CDT