Re: ODBC Connections Bad?

From: Rodd Holman <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:13:47 -0700

Walter,

I wouldn't go so far as to say that ODBC is bad in all cases, but it does leave something to be desired also. In the past I have noticed that ODBC connections stay connected to the database until the application is closed. To clarify this, suppose a user opens Access and opens an Access db with reports that use ODBc to query Oracle. They run their reports and get their information. They close the db and open another small application db that has no connection to Oracle. The ODBc connection to the Oracle db will persist until they actually EXIT Access completely. This same behaviour exists with Excel and pulling data into spreadsheets.  The other aspect is performance of the ODBC driver itself. ODBC drivers delivered by Microsoft tend to be incredible hogs. Intersolv used to produce a much better driver, but it isn't free. Oracle's driver used to perform somewhere in the middle. I don't have any metrics of the current drivers, this is on my past experience with them.

HTH Rodd Holman

Author: Rodd Holman
  INET: rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com