RE: looking for export with dynamic compress script on VMS

From: <Prasada.Gunda1_at_hartfordlife.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:18:24 -0700

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question.

Best Regards,
Prasad

"Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com> on 05/08/2001 03:56:49 PM

To: "'ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com'" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: "'Prasada.Gunda1_at_hartfordlife.com'" <Prasada.Gunda1_at_hartfordlife.com>

Prasad,

If you are on v7+ of OpenVMS (or is it v7.1+?), you can use the DCL PIPE command to emulate Unix-style pipes. Although I haven't tried it, it may produce something similar. For example, instead of the traditional DCL:

     $ DEFINE/USER SYS$OUTPUT T.T
     $ SHOW SYSTEM
     $ SEARCH T.T ORA

...which is similar to the unix "ps -ef|grep ORA" command, you can shorten it up to:

     $ PIPE SHOW SYSTEM | SEARCH SYS$PIPE ORA You may also want to investigate GNUZip for OpenVMS. http://www.openvms.digital.com/freeware/FREEWARE50/000TOOLS/ should contain a directory called "ALPHA_IMAGES" (8i will not run on VAXen, just Alphas) which will contain a GZIP.EXE file for ya. Yes, I'm aware that the link will forward you to Compaq's site. Just in case Ken Olsen is watching from Somewhere Above... :)

HTH!

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

  INET: Prasada.Gunda1_at_hartfordlife.com