(Fwd) Re: oracle 817 won't start...

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:27:15 -0700

(also see 136214.1 ?
  "startup and shutdown related registry entry's    for 8i on windows NT - 2000"
)

 Microsoft Servers and Utilities Technical Forum

 Displayed below are the messages of the selected thread.

 Thread Status: Closed

 RDBMS Version: 8.1.7
 Operating System and Version: Windows 2000 Advanced Server  Error Number (if applicable): ORA-27101

 From: xxxxx xxxxx 19-Jan-01 14:45
 Subject: Re : Database Startup via Windows 2000 Advanced Server Services

 One additional bit of information is that I can open up a DOS prompt set my ORACLE_SID use and use svrmgrl. I first have  to do a shutdown abort, but can then do a startup and the database works fine. No problems connecting or anything.  However, if I reboot after that, I return to the same issue. Even after restarting the database manually, I cannot go into the  services and restart the database. I get the following message from Microsoft Management Console: Could not start the  OracleServiceSTOEMADM service on Local Computer. Ther service did not return an error. This could be an internal  Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator. (STOEMADM is my  instance name). This definately points to a registry/services problem. I still cannot find anything wrong in the registry or the  service..... Any ideas?

 From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 23-Jan-01 21:33  Subject: Re : Database Startup via Windows 2000 Advanced Server Services

 Verify that ORACLE_SID is set and points to a valid 8.1.7 database which is up and running. Previously when the  ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_SID was set incorrectly, in the 'oracle' or client user's environment, only ora-1034 was  reported. ORA-01034 "ORACLE not available" With 8.1.7, the ora-27101 is reporting that the shared memory key
 generated by the client doesn't match any currently existing keys. This is to be expected if the ORACLE_HOME used by the  client isn't the same as the one used to startup the database with OR the ORACLE_SID is not correctly referencing the right  instance.

 If your ORACLE_SID is correctly set, confirm that ORA_SID_AUTOSTART of registry is set to TRUE. There was an  internal bug (1283305/1317791)logged on the autostart not working properly, however, the bug was to be fixed in 8.1.7. Let  me know if you are still having problems after checking the above parameters.

 Gina
 Oracle Support Services

 From: xxxxx xxxxx 25-Jan-01 20:33

 I found a TNS error that was occuring during service startup. If you comment out the
 SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) in your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora file, the problem  goes away....

 From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 30-Jan-01 16:34  Subject: Re : Database Startup via Windows 2000 Advanced Server Services

 Thank you for both of your updates to this post. New problems can be posted by creating a new thread.

 From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 26-Feb-01 14:48  Subject: Re : Re : Database Startup via Windows 2000 Advanced Server Services

 This issue is docuemented in bug
1522966. The workaround is to comment out the  SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) in your %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin/sqlnet.ora as has been  stated. This bug has a fix in patchset: : 8.1.7.0.1.

 From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 02-May-01 22:21  Subject: Re : Re : Database Startup via Windows 2000 Advanced Server Services

 The latest 8.1.7 patch is 8.1.7.1.2. This patch needs to be applied to 8.1.7.1.1 (this patch contains the fix). Both of these  patches can be found on MetaLink by using the "NEW! click here for all product patches" link. The base bug is documented  within the readme as: 1336566. Thank you for this post.

   Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms of Use.

Doc ID: Note:136214.1

         registry entry's for 8i on    Creation Date:   26-FEB-2001
         windows NT - 2000             Last Revision
Type:    BULLETIN                      Date:            03-APR-2001

PURPOSE

To give an overview of the startup and shutdown related registry entry's for 8i on windows NT / 2000.

An overview of the startup and shutdown related entry's

note: there are 3 bugs with this functionality:

      bug:1568668 shows that the shutdown options
      are not working on 8.1.7.0.0,
      8.1.5 and 8.1.6 are NOT affected by this bug.
      A fix is foreseen in 8.1.7.1.

      bug:724051 is that an NT shutdown does not perform a clean
      database shutdown due to a change in behavior from WINNT SP4
      and higher versions.
      Stopping the service itself is working fine, the fix is
      placing an ORAIMR8.dll in the Oracle_home\bin directory
      of the 8.1.6 database, the dll itself is included in
      8.1.7.0.0 and 8.1.6.3.1.

      bug:1397927 is about when using SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
      in sqlnet.ora the 8.1.7.0.0 service won't open the database with
      an ora-12640 in the ORACLE_HOME\database\oradim.log.
      the fix is on metalink -> product:sql*Net, Platform:MS Windows NT
      patch 1522966.
      This problem occures on windows 2000 only, not on windows NT4

RELATED DOCUMENTS

[BUG:1568668]
[BUG:724051]
[BUG:1397927]

.
         Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle
         Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal
[Image]  Notices and Terms of Use.                                           [Image]

--Message-Boundary-18415--

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu