Re: Taking your time when a crisis occurs

From: paquette stephane <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 08:28:10 -0700

I had this situation last year, when I recognised the voice of my boss at 4am I knew something was going wrong (24x7 database).

The CEO held a quick meeting , ask us our advices , then let us work without asking us each 5 minutes how things were.
I appreciated that a lot .
--- Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com> a écrit :
> want to tell me how you hold off the CEO who is
> breathing down your neck on
> the 24x7 database that's down?
>

> >From: "William Beilstein" <BeilstWH_at_obg.com>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
> <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> >Subject: Re: Taking your time when a crisis occurs
> >Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 05:30:57 -0800
> >
> >I agree, many serious problems have been created by
> DBA's that act before
> >they think things through. When I have a problem
> with the database, I get a
> >cup of coffee, put my feet up, and think about what
> happened and what to do
> >to solve the problem. Between corrupted data files,
> hardware crashed, bad
> >data in tables and other nasties, I have never
> failed to take care of the
> >problem, because I figured out what to do before
> starting the repair.

> >The golden rule when there is a big crash is :
> >1. Panic
> >2. Stop panic
> >3. Fix the problem
> >

> >--- "Hallas, John" <HallasJ_at_logicae.com> a écrit :
> >
> >FOR YOUR INFORMATION
> > >
> > > ESIS and EPFAL are now part of Logica. The
> Internet
> > > email addresses of the staff has changed to the
> > > following - lastnameinitial_at_logica.com eg
> > > SMITHK_at_logica.com. Emails using the old format
> will
> > > continue to be delivered until 30th June 2001.
> > >
> > > David,
> > > I support what you say about taking your time
> > > entirely. In fact at any
> > > interviews I attend backup/recovery question(s)n
> are
> > > always asked. My
> > > standard answer is the at then first thing I
> will do
> > > is go for a cup of
> > > coffee. After their jaws have finished dropping
> > > explain how thinking time
> > > is required etc.
> > >
> > > On a similar theme a few years ago I was
> > > interviewing for a contract DBA
> > > and he made the statement along the lines of
> 'you
> > > are paying me more because
> > > I have made mistakes before and I have learnt
> from
> > > them so you will be safe
> > > with me'. ( I am sure he phrased it more
> eloquently
> > > than that).
> > > After the interview the senior manager at the
> > > interview said that he would
> > > not have anyone as self-obsessed and
> over-confident
> > > as that on board. I
> > > disagreed and said that what the contractor was
> > > offering was exactly what we
> > > wanted. We took him on and he fitted in very
> well.
> > > This story fits in with
> > > the concept of getting a coffee and thinking
> about
> > > things first, which is
> > > all about using your experience well.
> > >
> > > John

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle, consultant entrepôt de données Oracle DBA, datawarehouse consultant
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
  INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com