Re: Off topic: New Microsoft suit [B*LLSHIT]

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:14:34 -0700

Date sent:      	Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:17:41 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
From:           	"Bowes, Chris" <Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com>
Subject:        	Off topic: New Microsoft suit

> The whole article is at :
> http://www.foxmarketwire.com/083000/microsoft.sml
>
> Now, wasn't a big point in the anti-trust suit that Micorshaft was using
> it's position to unfairly price things TOO LOW so that other companies could
> not reasonably compete?

No, MS was using *various* means to destroy competition, including forcing OEMs to only install MS products on their hardware.

Also, $400 for MicroSoft Office Pro is cheap?

$300 for Win2000 Pro is cheap? give me a friggin' break!

The *ssholes at MS *repeatedly* LIED to me when I called asking about how much I had to pay for a Win95->Win98 "upgrade" CD. I said I was installing to a clean disk, and couldn't I get "credit" for already having a copy of Win95 that had previously been installed? They said "no", if I was installing onto a clean disk, I "had to" buy the full (not upgrade) version of win98. When I pissed and moaned about the unfairness of MS' stated upgrade policy, another tech here told me the SIMPLE means to work around the problem so that I could use the $90 "Win98 upgrade" CD instead of the $190 *full* Win98 on a clean disk install.

Now, you might argue that the *THREE* seperate MARKETING BOZOs I called at MS headquarters couldn't figure out how to "correctly" answer the question I was asking, but then I have to ask why, if he has such VAST WEALTH at his disposal, Bill Gates can't figure out how to hire and train people that know what the hell they are suppose to be doing!

>Giving away the browser?

That was to destroy Netscape, whose founders, if you remember, *invented* the "mass market" web browser (Mosaic), and therefore perhaps arguably, invented the "popularized" web as we know it.

Also, if you remember, at the time MS blantantly took action to DESTROY Netscape as competition, it was anticipated that *due to their market presence* Netscape and/or others (Oracle/Sun?) would come up with an alternate desktop OS (NC?) that would be the beginning of the end of the MS WinBloat monopoly/domination.

> ... That's our IRA's and
> 401K's they're screwing with...

Not mine.

If you are so stupid and/or unethical as to participate in a retirement inventment instrument that is heavily based in MS stock, you deserve to get screwed when the govt finally gets around to putting its boot down on Bill Gates' neck for the long accumulative evil of destroying HUNDREDS of software companies. Please try to pick investments that are good for the environment and sensitive to social justice issues, and be a responsible, activist citizen-consumer instead of buying into the arrogant ethos of wretched excess and Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 13:14:34 CDT