DISK configuration - help please.

From: Adam Turner <ATurner_at_concretemedia.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:41:24 -0400

I am in the process of building two DB servers - one live and the other standby. We are not overly concerned with disk capacity - but rather with speed of access.

Our current configuration is

primary has 10 disks in RAID 0+1
standby has 6 disks in RAID 5

This is to give us 5 physical devices for production - I think a holdover of OFA guidelines.

What I am looking for is a bit of advice on the best optin for current configurations. I can add disks to this later. I am also using Veritas VM and FS and so can relayout my RAID 5 to RAID 0+1 pretty easily as well. Adding disks to the system is also a breaze.

All of these disks are in one FS mounted to /u01 .. .for easy management on our site we elected one mount point and one very expandable FS.

I am considering breaking my configuration and going with 8 disks in 0+1 for both systems - or going with 10 and 6 but both in 0+1 - I don't think that RAID 5 is a good idea ever - even for a standby system, but there is some pressure to have 5 physical devices and RAID 5 with 6 gives us that too...

Anybody out there willing to throw two cents my way? Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 08:41:24 CDT