RE: Documentation contradiction?

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:42:24 +1000

Hi Sean,

The "Planning Tablespaces" tip on my web site takes a more balanced approach.

"In general, it is safest to separate related segments into separate tablespaces. However, not all query execution plans that access two related segments cause repeated alternating access between them. For example, two related tables may reside on the same disks if they are only ever joined using a sort-merge join or hash join, because these query execution plans cause the tables to be accessed in series. The same applies to index merges. However, a nested loops join normally involves repeated access to first the outer table, then the index on the inner table, and then the inner table itself. If any 2, or all 3, of these segments reside on the same disks, head thrashing will occur and will result in poor I/O service times. Similarly, ... Because of these factors, it is safest to always separate related segments into distinct tablespaces, unless you are confident that the optimizer will always choose an execution plan that does not involve repeated alternating access between the segments."

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/
http://www.christianity.net.au/

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may