Re: EXP - Takes a long time

From: Brian Wisniewski <brian_wisniewski_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 06:05:16 -0700 (PDT)

Are there any batch jobs, user reports, etc running during the times you are taking the exports or anything cpu-intensive running during those times?

I've found exp to be fairly cpu-intensive along with the fact that the version of exp you are using is going to be competing for the buffer cache along with anything else that may be running during that same time period, including the other export process.

I've quickly modified a script I wrote for our exports based upon what you provided that you may want to try. You can log what is happening on the OS if you like or could even add logic to log into the database to see if there is contention in the 'while loop'. It will also create 1 log file and 1 dump file per schema so you can see where the time is being spent per export. I would move the smaller schemas to the front and the larger to the end of the list so at least the smaller ones complete.

You'll need to modify and set your environment but it is a start.

#!/bin/ksh

SCHEMAS='GOED HEND HONT MIDD MOOR GRAV OOST SPEN TEGE MIER ODBC WERK VEER TOAD MEER BERG SOBR ASTE KESS SOED TWEE MILL' for S in $SCHEMAS
do

        EXP_RUN=`ps -ef | grep oracle | grep exp | wc -l`

        while [ $EXP_RUN -gt 2 ]
        do
                sleep 20
                # ps -ef | grep oracle | grep exp >> log.file
                # vmstat 5 4 >> log.file
                EXP_RUN=`ps -ef | grep oracle | grep exp | wc -l`
        done

        exp owner=$S logfile=$S.LOG file=$S.DMP buffer=4000000 grants=n
&
done

# Wait until exp processes are complete before exiting.

EXP_RUN=`ps -ef | grep oracle | grep exp | wc -l`

while [ $EXP_RUN -gt 1 ]
do

        sleep 20
        # ps -ef | grep oracle | grep exp >> log.file
        # vmstat 5 4 >> log.file
        EXP_RUN=`ps -ef | grep oracle | grep exp | wc -l`
done Received on Wed Aug 09 2000 - 08:05:16 CDT