RE: control file parallel write

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:29:17 +1000

Hi Yong,

In answer to a similar question, available in the question and answer section of my web site for 3 March 2000 I wrote, "In 8.0.5 a heartbeat mechanism was included in CKPT's timeout action (every 3 seconds) to update the checkpoint progress record for the thread in the controlfile." However, the timeout being referred to here is the routine timeout of its 'rdbms ipc message' wait every 3 seconds, NOT the instance checkpoint timeout that is controlled by the log_checkpoint_timeout parameter. If you were to change that parameter to 2 you would notice a lot more than increased 'control file parallel write' waits. You would also notice very bad performance!

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/