RE: Oracle vs. Informix debate

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 22:10:40 +1000

Hi Alan,

I don't normally buy into threads like this one, but I will this time.

Firstly, such order of magnitude differences almost always reflect query optimization differences which can normally be resolved by appropriate optimizer tuning. I was recently asked to look at an Oracle query that ran for 60 minutes whereas the "same" query running against SQL server was only taking 2 minutes. Of course, it transpired that the Oracle database was missing an index.

But the more important issue here is the impact that working in this sort of environment will have on you personally. Regardless of the business decision, you will be expected to defend Oracle whenever it is criticised, and if you fail to have the technical omniscience to answer every challenge immediately, the criticism will be regarded as sustained and you will be tarred with the same brush. So, for as long as you work there you must refuse to be cast into role of a defender of Oracle.
(Some aspects of Oracle are indefensible anyway, and for the rest I am
reminded of the words of Charles Spurgeon who said, "Defend the Bible? I would sooner defend a lion!") Beyond that, I suggest that you start looking for an employer who will value the skills that you already have without expecting you to have skills that you don't.

Just my 2c,
Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/