_Help_ Configuring AIX prior to install Oracle

From: Don A Williams <Don.Williams_at_DAL.CA>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:55:22 -0400

Hello All...

I am about to install Oracle7 in a MAC environment on a RS/6000 server running AIX 4.1.1. I have began to read the installation and Configuration Guide and have ordered Oracle DBA Handbook, yet i am finding that information on specifics to Pre configuring the UNIX Kernel is limited.

Environment specifics:
server: 128 MB RAM, 1 4 GB HD
Unix: AIX 4.1.1
Projected Db size 400MB
Projected transactions per hr = 3000

Specific questions:
What are the essential actions to be taken w/r/s to UNIX before installing Oracle?
What is a optimal size for the semaphore which will hold the SGA? How do I set it in UNIX?
What is a good directory to use in UNIX? Oracle manual suggests u01/

        app/
                oracle/
                                admin/
                                                TAR/...
        home/
                lib/
                sbm/

        oradata/
                db_name...
u02/
        home/....bla bla bla...   [ICG pp. 1-21]

I am aware that I must set Kernel Parameters (pp. 5-7) Oracle supplies me with 5 lines of text on kernel config, not to helpful. If any one out there has done this or can give me advice as where to find such information I would be grateful.

Also, if anyone is in the Halifax area, who may be of help I would like to possibly meet with you at your connivance.

| Don A.Willams ** Caught speeding |
| Oracle DBA/Developer ** \|/\|/ on the |
| Dalhousie University ** ___ o__o Info Highway... |
| Dentistry Building ** _/__@\_ _/____\_ (again) |
| Halifax, NS B3H 1W2 ** _|O_____O|___|OO____OO|__ |
| Canada ** |
| Don.Williams_at_dal.ca ** |