Re: How to speed up parsing?

From: TSAWMILL.US.ORACLE.COM <TSAWMILL_at_US.ORACLE.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 16:23:01 -0500

--Boundary-8172845-0-0

Also, here's another wild idea: were the indexes on the two instances created in the same chronological order? Check the timestamps in user_objects.

Tim Sawmiller
tsawmiller_at_us.oracle.com
"The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of the Oracle Corporation".

--Boundary-8172845-0-0

Date: 01 Feb 96 14:11:22
From:"Jeffrey Weiss " <jrweiss_at_SESCVA.ESC.EDU> To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,ORACLE-L,ORACLE-L_at_CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU Subject: Re: How to speed up parsing? Reply-to: ORACLE-L_at_CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU

OK. Here's more info. The two instances are both on the same machine. The views are defined exactly the same. The indexes are the same on both instances. I have verified this by doing set operations using database links between the instances. The use of the instances is a little different, one being used by developers the other by an integrated testing team.

Each instance has its datafiles spread across several disks in a Sparc Storage Array. Two instances do not share the same devices so there should not be contention there.

Both of these instances are copies (extract/import) of our production database. It's just that the copies were made at different times. One was made when we first went production. The other was refreshed after another module went into production. But setups (for PA) were done manually in the older instance.

Jeff Weiss

<included message>

Subj: Re: How to speed up parsing?

--Boundary-8166969-0-0

First of all, "parsing" is where Oracle deciphers the SQL provided to figure out what it has to do. Parsing is NOT the execution of the SQL. Secondly, we need more info. Are there indexes on both systems? Are the views defined exactly the same way? What are the load differences of the machines? What is the disk spread of the two machines? etc. etc.