Home » Other » Training & Certification » difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands
difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands [message #262027] Fri, 24 August 2007 06:34 Go to next message
arj007

I am confused on the following:

Which two are attributes of /SQL*Plus? (Choose two)
A. /SQL*Plus commands cannot be abbreviated.
B. /SQL*Plus commands are accesses from a browser.
C. /SQL*Plus commands are used to manipulate data in tables.
D. /SQL*Plus commands manipulate table definitions in the database.
E. /SQL*Plus is the Oracle proprietary interface for executing SQL statements.
Answer: C, D
Explanation:
SQL*Plus commands can be used to manipulate data in tables and SQL*Plus commands
manipulate table definitions in the database.
Incorrect Answers
A: SQL*Plus commands can be abbreviated. Like command DESCRIBE can be abbreviated as
DESC, or SELECT as SELE.
B: SQL*Plus commands are not accesses from a browser.
E: SQL*Plus is not only the Oracle proprietary interface for executing SQL statements.

My understanding was :
SQl* Plus is a tool where we can use sql queries and there is no seperate dml or ddl commands for sql*plus other than commands like desc ....

so please clarify me on the basic difference b/w sql,sql*plus,isql*plus.

Thank you in advance

Regards
Arjun G
Re: difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands [message #262033 is a reply to message #262027] Fri, 24 August 2007 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I'd say E is true as well, although it ss only one of multiple interfaces
Re: difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands [message #262037 is a reply to message #262033] Fri, 24 August 2007 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arj007

IS option c,d is correct .
Re: difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands [message #262379 is a reply to message #262037] Sun, 26 August 2007 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
A and B are wrong, C and D are correct, but E is poorly worded.

SQL*Plus is NOT THE ONLY Oracle proprietary interface for executing SQL statements.

SQL*Plus is ONE OF THE Oracle proprietary interfaces for executing SQL statements.

SQL stands for Structured Query Language. Although there are ANSI SQL standards, the syntax beyond that is very different if you are using Oracle SQL or SQL Server or MySQL. Oracle SQL*Plus can be used to run Oracle SQL commands and has its own set of environmental commands, but cannot be used through the Internet. Oracle iSQL*Plus can be used through the Internet and is similar to SQL*Plus, but has a more limited set of commands. You can easily find all of the following by searching the online documentation:

SQL

Structured Query Language, a nonprocedural language to access data. Users describe in SQL what they want done, and the SQL language compiler automatically generates a procedure to navigate the database and perform the task. Oracle SQL includes many extensions to the ANSI/ISO standard SQL language.

SQL*Plus

Oracle tool used to run SQL statements against an Oracle database.

iSQL*Plus User Interface

iSQL*Plus is a web-based user interface to an Oracle Database.

PL/SQL

Oracle's procedural language extension to SQL. PL/SQL enables you to mix SQL statements with procedural constructs. With PL/SQL, you can define and execute PL/SQL program units such as procedures, functions, and packages.
Re: difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands [message #262400 is a reply to message #262379] Sun, 26 August 2007 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As I see it, only E is correct.

Quote:
A. /SQL*Plus commands cannot be abbreviated.

Yes, they can - so I find A answer to be wrong.

Quote:
B. /SQL*Plus commands are accesses from a browser.

No; iSQL*Plus is accessed via web browser, so this is also wrong.

Quote:
C. /SQL*Plus commands are used to manipulate data in tables.

No; SQL commands are used to do that, not SQL*Plus commands. Here is a list of SQL*Plus commands (don't pay much attention to Oracle version) - they have nothing to do with data manipulation (unless I'm wrong about it). So, I find answer C wrong.

Quote:
D. /SQL*Plus commands manipulate table definitions in the database.

If you ask me, the same as above - not SQL*Plus, but SQL. "Table definitions" should be DDL, right? "create table, drop table, alter table, ..." - those are SQL commands, aren't they? D is wrong as well.

Quote:
E. /SQL*Plus is the Oracle proprietary interface for executing SQL statements.
The only answer I find correct here. SQL*Plus is Oracle proprietary tool. Not the only one, but one of them - but, it IS proprietary.

Now, I really don't know which two answers would I choose, because ... 4/5 are wrong.
Re: difference b/w Sql & Sql * Plus commands [message #262594 is a reply to message #262400] Mon, 27 August 2007 14:26 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
This was posted in a manner such that it appears that the question and answer (C and D) and explanation were all obtained from some sort of study guide or whatever and that the poster was attempting to understand why this answer was considered correct. I was thinking that perhaps they considered SQL*Plus commands as including SQL commands run through SQL*Plus. If you interpret it as just the SET commands specific to SQL*Plus, then C and D are also wrong. The fact that the explanation said "E: SQL*Plus is NOT ONLY THE Oracle proprietary interface for executing SQL statements", which is strange wording, led me to believe that perhaps the point they were trying to make was that SQL*Plus is NOT THE ONLY Oracle proprietary interface for executing SQL statements, if you consider that there are also iSQL*Plus and PL/SQL. I see so many of these questions that are poorly worded, ambiguous, and unclear, and seem to focus on minor semantic details that are possibly intended to be tricky and really do not accurately test general knowledge or teach anything. I wonder how many of them are just wrong and how many have been copied incorrectly from one source to another. That is why I included the additional explanations and excerpts. I would appreciate it if the original poster would identify the source.
Previous Topic: how to order char and number and varchar2
Next Topic: How indexes in oracle work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:53:33 CDT 2024