Home » Other » Training & Certification » Some newbie questions
Some newbie questions [message #249849] Fri, 06 July 2007 03:26 Go to next message
BijuMathew
Hi all,
Im doing my MCA here in India and one of the subjects I have to learn is a paper "Oracle" no version has been specified but Im pretty sure they have used information referring to Oracle 8i in the book (All the references seem to quote Oracle 8i books).

Now I am doing this course through correspondence mode since Im working at the same time so I don't have access to the necessary lab facilities regular students would. I thought that probably MySQL would probably suffice so I found a copy off a magazine I read and tried to work with it but the commands seem to be pretty different.

So one of my friends have said he could give me a laptop which has Oracle 10g (if I recall correctly) installed.

Now my question is this, can I do the exercises I have which is based off of Oracle 8i in Oracle 9 , 10 or 11 whatever the version be? Or is that like comparing apples and oranges.

The content the book focuses on is (Not in the order quoted)
SQL *Plus

PL/SQL
Triggers
Cursors
Procedures
Functions
Packages
Exceptions

Will any version suffice for the above contents or are the differences huge? Is there any freeware alternative to practice the PL/SQL part or SQL part? I see that the commands don't work well in Access or SQL so I have no clue on what to do at this point.

There's a chapter on Database Administration but I haven't read it yet so Im still clueless about that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Biju

Re: Some newbie questions [message #249853 is a reply to message #249849] Fri, 06 July 2007 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I have to learn is a paper "Oracle" no version has been specified but Im pretty sure they have used information referring to Oracle 8i in the book

Always put the reference of the book.

Quote:
can I do the exercises I have which is based off of Oracle 8i in Oracle 9 , 10 or 11

Yes (but it will difficult in 11 as this version is not yet released Smile ).
Every version is backward compatible.

Regards
Michel
Re: Some newbie questions [message #249867 is a reply to message #249853] Fri, 06 July 2007 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BijuMathew
Quote:
Yes (but it will difficult in 11 as this version is not yet released ).
Every version is backward compatible.

Thanks, appreciate the help. I just found an Oracle Express Edition 10G on one of the CDS I got from a magazine. Thought that only Microsoft had "Express Editions" Embarassed .

One more question. Isnt there some kind of option to create forms in here? Cause after Installing the express edition I see that the options I have are

Get Help
Get Started
Go to Database Home Page
Run SQL Command Line
Start Database
Stop Database

Im going to guess that Forms come as a different client program or that it isnt bundled with the Express Edition. Is that correct?
Re: Some newbie questions [message #249875 is a reply to message #249867] Fri, 06 July 2007 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I neither know nor use Forms.
Sorry maybe someone else.

Regards
Michel
Re: Some newbie questions [message #249896 is a reply to message #249849] Fri, 06 July 2007 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bilana
Hi Biju,
If you are talking about oracle forms,then it comes under D2K.Its a separate tool to build application.Its not coming with express edition Cool

cheers
Re: Some newbie questions [message #249950 is a reply to message #249896] Fri, 06 July 2007 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Go to http://technet.oracle.com
You can download for free all the Oracle software you need. It's free for studying-purposes.
Re: Some newbie questions [message #250103 is a reply to message #249849] Sat, 07 July 2007 21:19 Go to previous message
BijuMathew
Thank you all your help. Im learning using the Express Edition at the moment. Smile

Previous Topic: Interview questions
Next Topic: certification question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:59:20 CDT 2024