Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Traceroute and DBLINK
Traceroute and DBLINK [message #182708] Mon, 17 July 2006 13:12 Go to next message
dmill01

Anyone,

When i perform a traceroute from one oracle server to another on a WAN do I see a true representation of the hops and time it takes for data to be transferred though a DBLINK that is established between those two same servers?

I am being told traceroute uses ICMP and DBKLINK TCP/IP and thereby different issues. I beg to differ that in a WAN it will always become TCP/IP even over a DBLINK and that the traceroute is an accurate representation of the time it takes to go from one server to another.

Thanks in advance,
Miller

Re: Traceroute and DBLINK [message #182711 is a reply to message #182708] Mon, 17 July 2006 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Traceroute does use ICMP (Time Exceeded Message).
>>that the traceroute is an accurate representation of the time it takes to go from one server to another
I ***believe*** Traceroute output is not an accurate method to benchmark network performance. Because traceroute is all worried about the Hops. There is no gurantee the packets would go through the same route again.
I am not into networks. May be some network administrators should shed some more light.
Re: Traceroute and DBLINK [message #182714 is a reply to message #182711] Mon, 17 July 2006 14:00 Go to previous message
dmill01

But if a WAN traverses the internet won't a packet of data have to follow the same path that is defined on the router tables as a traceroute shows no matter if it is an oracle packet or a web page?

Data is data and internet is internet. The only way internet knows how to pass data along is via routing tables on routers and that is what a tracert shows me. The hops are the routers I go through with data and latency from one to the next.

Still trying to figure this out.

Miller
Previous Topic: how can increase buffer hit ratio
Next Topic: Slow insertions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:32:56 CDT 2024