Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » generic SGA
generic SGA [message #164860] Mon, 27 March 2006 02:52 Go to next message
oxalide
Hi all,

I'm working on a SunE4500 with 8 Gb RAM Solaris8/oracle9i 64-bit and i want to optimize my SGA.
For this, i found many information on metalink and others forum talking about, but i'm
looking for a generic report (i know it's better to according to a curent utilisation but still i need it) between
sga_size, db_cache_size, block_size, shared_pool-size, large_pool_size, java_pool_size and log_buffer.

In my view, i used this one :

- sga_size = 70% of total RAM
- db_cache_size = 70% of sga_size
- block_size is fix cause it set in the same db create time
- shared_pool-size = 20% of sga_size
- large_pool_size = 8% of sga_size
- java_pool_size = 1% of sga_size
- log_buffer = 1% of sga_size

I did a litle stuff for calculate this ratio (http://s146714559.onlinehome.fr/sga.php).
So, i'm not a master in tunning oracle Wink and i want to know if someone have a best practical about this.
If you see something to correct please say it to me, it will help me and i hope it will be usefull to everyone.

Thanx

[Updated on: Mon, 27 March 2006 03:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: generic SGA [message #165665 is a reply to message #164860] Fri, 31 March 2006 05:59 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Those calculations should be OK for estimating initial values for a new database. However, you will need to monitor the database and make adjustments as you go.

Even better, upgrade to Oracle 10g and enable Automatic Memory Management. This will enable Oracle to size (most) of these areas itself dynamically.
Previous Topic: Use of 1 Cpu insted of 2 on Oracle 10 G
Next Topic: Merge Cartesian Join in Plan and More Reads
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:09:32 CDT 2024