Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Materialized view vs Table
Materialized view vs Table [message #163040] Tue, 14 March 2006 13:50 Go to next message
a_developer
We need to create a materialized view which we build as 'DEFERRED' and later on REFRESH as COMPLETE. During the refresh, it takes a longer time, than just creating a table instead. Why is it so?? I use NOLOGGING in both operations.

I thought materialized views are better.. if so, is there something I am missing??
Re: Materialized view vs Table [message #163074 is a reply to message #163040] Tue, 14 March 2006 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
A COMPLETE refresh should simply truncate the table and then fill it up again. Delays could be caused by:
- The MV is stored in a Hash Cluster (very unlikely) - Oracle has to DELETE rather than TRUNCATE.
- The MV is the base table of other fast-refresh MV's. ie. The MV has an MV Log attached. Oracle needs to update the timestamp on any rows in the MV Log.

I can't think of any other reasons off hand. You could trace the Refresh and then use TK*Prof to tell you what took all of the time. See the Oracle Utilities manual for instructions on TK*Prof and SQL Trace.

Re: Materialized view vs Table [message #163384 is a reply to message #163040] Thu, 16 March 2006 09:32 Go to previous message
croK
Correct me if I am wrong:
1. you create the mv as DEFFERRED. That means that actually
no data is loaded at the creation process.

2. you then refresh the mv as complete. This is the moment
where the table is actually loaded with data, so, it will
take longer because you did not load data
in step 1.

Best luck
Previous Topic: Oracle 8.1.7.0 - How to find BIND Variable values ?
Next Topic: operation timed out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:27:23 CDT 2024