Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Unique constraint versus unique index
Unique constraint versus unique index [message #159621] Mon, 20 February 2006 11:21 Go to next message
mjschwenger
My application is very insert intensive and I have multiple indexes defined as unique just to ensure the there'll be no duplicate values.
I was wondering in which case the overhead will be less - when defining unique constraint or unique index. Again, the indexes is not in use in the select/update statements.

Thanks a lot for the help, mj
Re: Unique constraint versus unique index [message #159638 is a reply to message #159621] Mon, 20 February 2006 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
right now i don't have a proof or anything to demonstrate.
I may be wrong.
***Usually***, presence of index is good for select statements and bad for inserts. If you are not using indexes in select statements, no need to have them.

Edit:
correction

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2006 13:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unique constraint versus unique index [message #159673 is a reply to message #159638] Mon, 20 February 2006 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
An ENABLED Unique or PK constraint creates a Unique index if one does not already exist. A DISABLED constraint requires no index, but nor is it validated (it is documentation only).

The only differences that I know of are:
- A function-based index cannot be a Unique Key
- A Foreign Key must reference either a Unique or Primary Key - a unique index is insufficient.

If you load data in bulk, you can drop your index, load, and recreate it. Depending on the data volumes, this might be beneficial.
If you bulk load with SQL*Loader, DIRECT PATH load will defer the maintenance of indexes, making it redundant (and slower) to drop and recreate them. Even better, you can pre-sort the data file in index order for an even faster load.
Re: Unique constraint versus unique index [message #159754 is a reply to message #159673] Tue, 21 February 2006 04:57 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Ross,
is there a difference performance wise?
As for as i know, NO. There is no difference. CBO will treat both the same. So falling back to the basic concepts, i assert that presence of index is painful for inserts and may be useful for selects. But the OP is not using the indexes for selects.
why have them?

regards

Edit:
Just re-read the post from OP.
>>defined as unique just to ensure the there'll be no duplicate values.
So we cannot avoid having indexes here.
>>I was wondering in which case the overhead will be less - when defining unique constraint or unique index.
There will be no difference.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 February 2006 07:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Analyze Table
Next Topic: Attempt to de-mystify DBMS_STATS ( Any Takers ? )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:31:52 CDT 2024