Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » different performance on old server
different performance on old server [message #140605] Tue, 04 October 2005 23:02 Go to next message
mjschwenger
I do not know even if this is the right forum for this question but as I saw so much help, and it's a performance related, let me start...
In June 05I used an old server to run some performance benchmarks. Ora 10.1.0.4, AIX 5.2, client machines linux redhat 9. Running the application on 3 linux boxes, I was connecting to the database and benchmarking the performance by the # of inserts in a few tables, some application specific results like records into audit tables, etc. and CPU/memory utilization of the client machines and DB server. Today, using the same datasets, I started a new prformance testing on my old box as my new one was hardware broken... OK, the results were terrible! I run the same version of the app, on the same client linux machines, using the same datasets and the same DB server (no changes to the Ora install there have been made!) - everything is the same - or at least it looks the same - the results are twice lower. Systemwide, the differences were in the inserted records - 50% less inserts and the CPU on the client machines was abut 50% higher. I did check that no updates have been installed on the either of the 4 machines, no patches, etc. I tired to consult with my network admin but he said he has no clue - i have my results from June documented and we could see the huge difference.
I guess my question is what I can look at on the DB side... My statpack is almost similar to what we had before. I guess if there's a difference this will be between the clients and DB server, but how the DB server could to push the application to spin more??? I also tried to run the same app from the different client (4th linux machine)... the same results - then the network guys said it's difinately database problem...
I do not know where to start if the statpack is almost the same... I run even system stats... all other stats, etc... using the sniffer did not show anything useful...
Any idea is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot, mj
Re: different performance on old server [message #140732 is a reply to message #140605] Wed, 05 October 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
1. Network guys will always say it is a database problem Smile

In general, I've found that if two things are different, then _something_ has to have changed somewhere. Difficult part is in finding it Smile

But it is there.

Have you looked into raw disk io speed? Maybe something to do with disk controllers or the drives themselves, some kind of test you could run outside of the database to compare with the numbers the io system is "supposed" to do?

Same with network bandwidth...

And even RAM on the server...

This is where having a good system / network admin, instead of one who has no clue, comes in real handy.
Re: different performance on old server [message #140738 is a reply to message #140732] Wed, 05 October 2005 07:35 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Did you check the filesystem / storage / raid?
The system admin folks always love to swap a few disks here and there.
Previous Topic: Increasing performance of queries
Next Topic: End user problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:40:23 CDT 2024