Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Enforce password change on first login
icon5.gif  Enforce password change on first login [message #130675] Mon, 01 August 2005 22:32 Go to next message
rebeccaz
Hi,

I will like to Know how do I prompt user to change their password on first login? Mine is a Oracle 9i standard edition.
Thank in advance for the help! Razz

Regards,
Rebecca
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130693 is a reply to message #130675] Tue, 02 August 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

U can achieve it by creating a user with expired passwords.

SQL> create user kart1 identified by forgotpwd
2 password expire;

User created.

SQL> grant connect,resource to kart1;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn kart1/forgotpwd;
ERROR:
ORA-28001: the password has expired

Changing password for kart1
New password: *****
Retype new password: *****
Password changed
Connected.

And if u want that the user should not use the old password again then u can assign profiles to the user as per ur requirement.

regards,
tarun
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130699 is a reply to message #130675] Tue, 02 August 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebeccaz
Hi,

I have tried as follow but was given the following error. Kindly advise. Thank you.

SQL> create user jean identified by forgotpwd password expire;

User created.

SQL> grant connect, resource to jean
2 ;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn jean/forgotpwd;
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Regards,
Rebecca
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130700 is a reply to message #130699] Tue, 02 August 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Hi,

It should not display an error cos the command is perfectly correct. The problem is that ur new user is not able to login.

>>>> SQL> conn jean/forgotpwd;
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Are u using hoststring to connect to the database ?

Eg. conn jean/forgotpwd@testdb

or try one thing create a normal user and try to login from that user.
Jst try this

SQL> create user jean identified by forgotpwd ;

User created.

SQL> grant connect, resource to jean
2 ;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn jean/forgotpwd;

and check r u able to connect?

regards,
tarun
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130702 is a reply to message #130700] Tue, 02 August 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebeccaz
Hi,

Thank a lot. I am able to connect now cause I miss the hoststring just now. Now I have another scenario, users already exist, what will be the command(s) to enforce the password expire option?

Regards,
Rebecca
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130705 is a reply to message #130702] Tue, 02 August 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebeccaz
Hi,

I did the following, for an existing user, rebecca. However, I realized that this prompts for password expires only prompts at the backend but not at the application level. Pls advise.

alter user rebecca identified by password4 password expire;

Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130706 is a reply to message #130702] Tue, 02 August 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

It's not a big deal but u have to perform in a different way.

Run this command for every user.

SQL> ALTER USER KART1
2 PASSWORD EXPIRE;

User altered.

SQL> CONN KART1/KART2
ERROR:

Changing password for KART1
New password: *****
Retype new password: *****
Password changed
Connected.
SQL>

regards,
tarun
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130708 is a reply to message #130705] Tue, 02 August 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
rebeccaz wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 12:16

Hi,

I did the following, for an existing user, rebecca. However, I realized that this prompts for password expires only prompts at the backend but not at the application level. Pls advise.

alter user rebecca identified by password4 password expire;

Rebaccaz,

Now pls post the exact scenario with Frontend and Backend mentioned with versions. Also ur requirements in that.

regards,
tarun
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130722 is a reply to message #130708] Tue, 02 August 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebeccaz
Hi,

I am using MAXIMO 5.2, a software application at the front end and using Oracle database 9i, standard edition. I am required to prompt users to change their password when they first login in to the application not to database. However, MAXIMO does not provides function to do that. Hence, I thought of enforcing this at the backend.

Regards,
Rebecca
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130724 is a reply to message #130722] Tue, 02 August 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry i never used MAXIMO 5.2 . I m a DBA and new in this field but a thought strikes my mind.

Cant u achieve ur requirement by making some coding changes in the frontend s/w .

See whenever a new/old user is prompted at the backend to change a password it throws an error

ERROR:

So cant u trace this error from ur frontend and write a piece of code to popup a password change window whenever such thing happens and store that password back to the database.

U jst need to know how errors are traced and handled in ur S/W.

Regards,
tarun
Re: Enforce password change on first login [message #130726 is a reply to message #130724] Tue, 02 August 2005 02:45 Go to previous message
rebeccaz
Hi,

Thank for the advice, I will try that out. Thank you so much.

Regards,
Rebecca
Previous Topic: Accessing Public Objects
Next Topic: enable audit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:05:15 CDT 2024