Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Pls advice me about ERP Packages
Pls advice me about ERP Packages [message #96784] Sun, 30 January 2005 23:30 Go to next message
ram
Hi Friends!

I am an Engineering Graduate and having 7-8 yrs of experience in IT field. For the past 3-4 yrs I have been working on Oracle(PL/SQL,Forms,Reports). I have no Financial knowledge/background but I worked a Project on a Financial firm. Now I want to switch over to either Oracle 11i Applications(Financials)/SAP. So can anybody tell me what would be the best long term career move in ERP training: Oracle Applications or SAP?

Can you pls advice me also what's the basic knowledge required to go to ERP packages?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Pls advice me about ERP Packages [message #96800 is a reply to message #96784] Tue, 01 February 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aleksander
Given your background I think the easiest for you, given your background, would to get some kind of technical role dealing with Oracle E-Business Suite. You could start of doing custom reports, interfaces, conversion and extensions and pick up the functional aspects as you go.

The Oracle E-Business Suite is built using Forms, Reports and PL/SQL. There are some older batches written in C, and a lot of the newer applications are written in Java. SAP is written to be database independent and you will have a lot less use for your present experience, though a good understanding of relation databases and SQL always comes in handy.

Of course you will have to consider the job market as well. SAP is the clear market leader, but this is a pretty exciting time for working with Oracle E-Business Suite given the acquisition of Peoplesoft.

--
Aleksander
Re: Pls advice me about ERP Packages [message #96801 is a reply to message #96800] Tue, 01 February 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ram
Thanks Mr Aleksander. Thanks for your valuable suggestion. For long I have been in dilema and couldn't take any descission. Probably soon I may go
for training on Oracle Applications. Thanks once again.

Ram
Re: Pls advice me about ERP Packages [message #96881 is a reply to message #96800] Sat, 05 February 2005 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sajid
I'm just sharing the knowledge on ERP not a MASTER

“ERP (enterprise resource planning) is an industry term for the broad set of activities supported by multi-module application software that help a manufacturer or other business manage the important parts of its business, including product planning, parts purchasing, maintaining inventories, interacting with suppliers, providing customer service, and tracking orders.”

Another explanation:

Enterprise Resource Planning

A comprehensive integrated suite of software products used to execute the “major financial and administrative systems” of an organization.

http://www.indiainfoline.com/cyva/erp/ar01.html
Also visit the below URL for slide by slide introduction. It is an old page.

http://www.erpfans.com/erpfans/erpdefinition/erp001.html

The ERP market worldwide is now growing rapidly. SAP is very rigid and uses their own programming language. Oracle Apps is developed using the Developer2000 but implemented as an Intranet based application using the Oracle 9i Application Server technology were normal Developer2000 forms can be run using only web browser.

Oracle Apps core modules (Financials, Inventory, Procurement/Purchasing, HR) are developed using D2K. New modules (Customer Relationship Management – CRM, Supply Chain Management – SCM) are developed using J2EE.

PeopleSoft, Oracle and SAP all are ERP vendors. SAP was the leading in first place, Oracle second, PeopleSoft third. PeopleSoft was second; Oracle bypassed PeopleSoft and then bought the PeopleSoft Company itself so that in future they can even beat SAP.
Oracle Apps is the ERP suite (group) of products developed and marketed by Oracle Company. Oracle Financials is the financial products of Oracle Apps suite. (Oracle ERP itself was known earlier as Oracle Financials earlier as they had only financials at that time, now they have HR, Inventory etc). Oracle Server is the database server product from Oracle Company.
Re: Pls advice me about ERP Packages [message #96945 is a reply to message #96784] Mon, 14 February 2005 00:00 Go to previous message
sameer sinha
hi ram,
my case is similar to u.i'm at mumbai and i'm facing
the same problem.my cell no is 9821816048.just sms me and i will call u.we can share some information
Previous Topic: Database model
Next Topic: Learn Oraclec From Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:31:32 CDT 2024