Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » What development tools are used?
What development tools are used? [message #96553] Mon, 20 December 2004 09:04 Go to next message
nik
Hi,
this is general/basic question:
what is development tool(s) that used in Oracle E-Business Suite? Oracle Forms or something else?

Thanks,
Nik
Re: What development tools are used? [message #96562 is a reply to message #96553] Mon, 20 December 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aleksander
Nik,

what is development tool(s) that used in Oracle E-Business Suite? Oracle Forms or something else?

I am not entirely sure whether you are referring to the development tools used by Oracle to create the E-Business Suite or the ones you as a developer will use in order to for instance extend the application.

In the E-Business Suite one divides the GUI into two different types professional forms and self-service. Professional forms have been developed in Oracle Forms. These require JInitiatior to be installed on the users' PC and a quite substantial applet has to be downloaded. Customisation to these is done by altering CUSTOM.pll. It is also possible to develop new forms but then you have to start of using TEMPLATE.fmb. See the Application Developer's Guide for more information. The guide can be downloaded from Metalink.

The self-service forms are Oracle Application Framework (OAF) JSP-pages built in JDeveloper. There are some self-service applications (such as iProcurement pre 11.5.10) built using other technologies but they are being migrated to the OAF. Self-service forms do not require anything other than a web browser to use. OAF pages can be customised through a process called personalisation which does not require knowledge of coding. Beginning with 11.5.10 it should also be possible to do more extensive extensions using JDeveloper and to even roll your own OAF applications. I have not yet seen any good documentation on this, but when performing extensions you should refer to the documentation of whatever product you are extending for details of how to personalise.

Most of the developed reports in the application are developed using Oracle Reports (built in Reports Builder). These are however not very pretty and many organisation develop their own in Oracle Discoverer.

Batches are either created as SQL*Plus scripts, Pro*C programs or PL/SQL stored procedures. Tools commonly used to do this is TOAD and SQL Navigator both from Quest. A freeware version of TOAD is available from toadsoft.com.

In addition to the above mentioned I might mention that workflows are developed and customised using Oracle Workflow Builder.

--

Aleksander
Re: What development tools are used? [message #96566 is a reply to message #96562] Tue, 21 December 2004 08:10 Go to previous message
nik
Aleksander:

This sorts out things quite a bit.
I was not so sure whether there will be different sets of
tools to create E-B.S. which is opposed to the ones used to
extend them. Sounds like I was asking more of a secod set
- i.e. tools used to extend.

My understanding was (being not an Oracle developer at
all) that applications are something like forms created
originally by Oracle developers staff and then available
to be extended by the same toolset (forms or the like) by
other developers (those who work for a particular company