Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Writing a Performance Stress Test
Writing a Performance Stress Test [message #65875] Mon, 17 January 2005 22:33 Go to next message
Jonas Rosenthal
Hello,

I'm currently designing a stress test to simulate 5000-1000 users to validate a migration of my company's current oltp system from a four node HP 8i cluster to a single node 9i system on an IBM p570. We have about 5000 users running mts/shared websphere connections currently. Total active users at one time is about 200-300 across all nodes.

I must convince our user community that the system will work as advertised.

Requirements:

1)The k-shell script will be config file driven to launch the 5000-10000 users we need to validate cpu/memory. The k-shell scripts will launch pro*c or sqlplus as client server from our application servers.
2)The test will utilize all dml and queries based on the highest number of executions/statement in the cache.
3)It will use the "sample" function (on joins as well) to query data in advance as a data source to the simulation statements will ensure that all data is new and not cached. This will test our i/o capabilities and overall system performance (I hope).
4)Since most statements use bind variables, they will probably be executed as clients in pro*c. I would have done pl/sql but that may skew the cache test results.
5)The test will be geared to meet or equal stats pack results from our current production system.
6)Batch reporting and batch dml jobs will be performed simultaneously to validate a mixed oltp/batch environment.

Before I move from design to implementation, if anyone has some suggestions or knows of any scripts or white papers or even code already written that can perform this, that would save me a great deal of time and energy. I'm looking at Load Runner but I'm not sure it will fit my requirements.

Thanks all in advance.
Re: Writing a Performance Stress Test [message #65948 is a reply to message #65875] Fri, 04 February 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lily
Hi, did u get any information on this? am curious also. I have a similar script that do performance test (trying to cover as much as I can) which I can share with you if you are interested.

regards,
Lily
Re: Writing a Performance Stress Test [message #65955 is a reply to message #65948] Sat, 05 February 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Rosenthal
Hi Lily,

You are the first to respond. I am interested in seeing your script. As soon as I'm done with mine, I will post it as well.

Thanks,

Jonas
Re: Writing a Performance Stress Test [message #65968 is a reply to message #65955] Tue, 08 February 2005 10:57 Go to previous message
lily
hi Jonas! mailing the script at your id oracleminded_at_yahoo.com

regards,
Lily
Previous Topic: Response time
Next Topic: CBO vs RBO Explain plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:59:20 CDT 2024