Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » high level of processor utilization
high level of processor utilization [message #64972] Sun, 21 March 2004 10:45 Go to next message
Tibor
Hi,

I try to resolve following problem with 9.2.0. client. Until now we use Oracle client 8.1.7 in IIS/ASP application - we use Oracle OLE DB Provider. But we develop new applications on .NET platform and so we upgrade Oracle client from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 version. This upgrade bring to us big problem because the processor usage is 100% and count of processed requests decreases to 10% of count processed with 8.1.7 client. We apply last pach from Oracle but it is same.

I develope small test application where I create 2 transactions, in first I insert and update one record and in second I delete this record. I test this application with Microsoft Application Test Center and during 10 minutes 20 clients simultaneously generate requests. With client 8.1.7 all is OK and server is able to process approximately 200 requests per second (processor utilization is 30%). But on 9.2.0 client processor utilization growths to 100%. Server is able to process only 10 requests per second and after some minutes sink to 0. All received requests by IIS are queued and are time out After finish of test processor keeps 100% usage yet until all received requests time out.

I use same application server with W2000 OS, same hardware and all SPs, same database.

Can you advise to me where the problem is?

Thank you
Re: high level of processor utilization [message #64979 is a reply to message #64972] Mon, 22 March 2004 11:04 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Looks like your database might not be properly configured or tuned. Oracle 9i should be able to provide the same (if not better) throughput than 8i.

What is happening on your DB? Any locks? What events are your users waiting on? Are your query plans still optimal?

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: Bind Variables
Next Topic: log file sync
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:31:16 CDT 2024