Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Search field in LOV issue
Search field in LOV issue [message #676900] Fri, 26 July 2019 03:19 Go to next message
raszynsky
Hello!

I'm having a weird problem with a LOV in Oracle Forms 6i. I added new column which has length 2000 and now when i enter LOV i can't see a '%' in a search field. All the names start with the same 3 letters and normally i would see 'ABC%' in a search field and if i typed the first letter of second word i would see a difference like 'ABC word1%' etc. and now it still filters the same way but the search field looks frozen, it still shows only 'ABC'. The funniest point is when i change the length of new column to 317 it works normally, but if i change it to 318 it freezes.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: Search field in LOV issue [message #676909 is a reply to message #676900] Fri, 26 July 2019 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
So, leave it at length 317.

Who will be scrolling that much right, to check what's written at position 1670? I wouldn't want to do that. LoV is designed to help you search for something, not to scroll through vast amount of data manually / visually. 317 is too much as well, in my opinion.

Apart from that useless rant, did you try to compile ALL the form (Ctrl + Shift + K) and see what happens?
Re: Search field in LOV issue [message #676910 is a reply to message #676909] Fri, 26 July 2019 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raszynsky
Compile all doesn't help. I added the length of all the columns that are in LOV and their length all together is 2684 (2685 and more makes my problem). I need those columns but i don't show them in LOV. They are used to fill some fields after a choice from LOV. I only show 3 columns in LOV, the rest just fills the fields. Anyway, i checked again and when the total length of columns exceeds 2685, the search field is limited to 4 characters. No idea why Sad
Re: Search field in LOV issue [message #676912 is a reply to message #676910] Fri, 26 July 2019 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Aha.

How about another approach? Keep those 3 columns you need in the LoV, and create a WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger which will populate the rest of items (based on what you select in the LoV). If that works OK, if necessary, add the same code into POST-QUERY block-level trigger so that you'd populate those items on fetch (if those items aren't database items).
Re: Search field in LOV issue [message #676913 is a reply to message #676912] Fri, 26 July 2019 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raszynsky
Thanks Littlefoot!

I think I'll have to do what You just said. I was really wondering if there is any limit of the size of lov or something that caused my issue.
Re: Search field in LOV issue [message #676914 is a reply to message #676913] Fri, 26 July 2019 07:47 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You're welcome, I hope it'll help.

I don't know whether there's any documented limit; I don't have Forms 6i to check. I guess you've already searched through Forms' Online Help system ...
Previous Topic: Not able to connect with database from forms 6i but from forms 11g its connecting
Next Topic: Sending sms to Mobile Phone Using API in Pl Sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:07:28 CDT 2024