Home » Other » Client Tools » Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle (11.2.0.1)
Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668844] Sun, 18 March 2018 03:53 Go to next message
pointers
Hi,

How does "Toad" or "Oracle SQL developer" tools connects to Oracle server.
Do these tools use sqlplus internally? or any other utilities for establishing connection?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668845 is a reply to message #668844] Sun, 18 March 2018 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

How does it come you don't feedback?

Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668846 is a reply to message #668845] Sun, 18 March 2018 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
In my opinion, no - they don't use SQL*Plus. Because, SQL*Plus, SQL Developer, TOAD, PL/SQL Developer, ... are *tools* you can use to access an Oracle database. All of them do perform some kind of a CONNECT command, but I don't know how.

I know that you have to install Oracle Client software in order for TOAD to be able to establish connection. Now, which part of it is being used - can't tell (maybe SQL*Net?).

On the other hand, SQL Developer doesn't need anything obvious - it doesn't even have the "classic" installation script - you just unzip and use it. Now, does it already have something bundled, I didn't investigate.

Pretty much useless post, eh?
Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668847 is a reply to message #668846] Sun, 18 March 2018 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
Pretty much useless post, eh?
But then maybe you will have feedback and thanks as when I post useful posts I have none from him. Twisted Evil

Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668848 is a reply to message #668847] Sun, 18 March 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Wait and see Smile
Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668849 is a reply to message #668844] Sun, 18 March 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+oci
Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668852 is a reply to message #668849] Sun, 18 March 2018 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Thank you all of you for your time.

@Micheal: Sorry, it was not intentional missing feedback. I did not see it.
But I really appreciate all of your feedback and your expertise in helping others.

Regards,
Pointers.
Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668858 is a reply to message #668852] Mon, 19 March 2018 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Why do you then post question if you don't check we give you a complete solution of it? Razz

Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #668859 is a reply to message #668852] Mon, 19 March 2018 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
pointers wrote on Sun, 18 March 2018 21:41
Thank you all of you for your time.

So what will you do differently now that your question has been answered?
Re: Howe toad or sql developer connect to oracle [message #669119 is a reply to message #668844] Tue, 03 April 2018 09:29 Go to previous message
thatjeffsmith

How does "Toad" or "Oracle SQL developer" tools connects to Oracle server.
Toad uses OCI via SQL*Net - it requires an Oracle Client or Oracle Instant Client to connect.

SQL Developer uses an Oracle JDBC driver to connect. That's why it doesn't require either Client to make Oracle Database connections. You can also make a THICK connection, where it will use Oracle NET to connect, in which case you do have to have a client installed.

Do these tools use sqlplus internally? or any other utilities for establishing connection?
No and no.

Both tools have Script Engines which emulate SQL*Plus behavior when running one or more SQL statements and SQL*Plus commands. But neither actually use SQL*Plus.

Connections are established using JDBC for SQLDev and OCI for Toad.

At one point, Toad was a Delphi application and I believe they used ODAC. There are now .NET versions of Toad, which probably use ODBC drivers to connect to Oracle, but I'm not associated with Toad anymore, so probably better to ask them directly.

SQL*Plus is just another application that uses the same code internally to connect to an Oracle database as any other application would that goes the OCI route. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/oci/index-090945.html
Previous Topic: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
Next Topic: Sql developer time is showing incorrect when checked with database time on server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:19:28 CDT 2024